[ale] Re: Graphical Debug interface

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Oct 22 17:38:23 EDT 2002

Yes, I found DDD to be FANTASTIC!  I consider it to be the best use of a
GUI interface that I have ever seen and the best debugger that I've ever
used (and I've used a lot).

It is a source debugger that allows breakpoints but also allows setting
breakpoints when a memory location is read or written

It allows one to display the Real-time values of multiple variables and
linked items (lists, trees, etc) while you step through the program.
You can click on the value of a pointer and it will expand the link and
graphically show the object that it points to.

It can be compiled for almost any version and distribution of Linux.
It's a must for anyone debugging c or c++ (and assembly and other
compiled languages too).

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:50:52AM -0400, John Wells wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Try DDD. (http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/)
>
> John

Bob Toxen
transam at verysecurelinux.com            [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at verysecurelinux.com                [Please use for email to me]
http://www.verysecurelinux.com         [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My 5* book:"Real World Linux Security"]
http://www.verysecurelinux.com/sunset.html        [Sunset Computer]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"

GPG Public key available at http://www.verysecurelinux.com/pubkey.txt
  and on the CD-ROM that comes sealed and attached to Real World Linux Security
pub  1024D/E3A1C540 2000-06-21 Bob Toxen <book at verysecurelinux.com>
     Key fingerprint = 30BA AA0A 31DD B68B 47C9  601E 96D3 533D E3A1 C540
sub  2048g/03FFCCB9 2000-06-21