[ale] xterm/ console question

stephen stephen at phynp6.phy-astr.gsu.edu
Mon Oct 21 22:56:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:25:53PM -0700, lance crocker wrote:
> hey all
>
> really enjoyed the installfest.
>
> i do have a question though. I have just set up samba to run on my home
> network. Now my terminla says it has no name.
>
> Usually it gives this format:
>
> [username  servername at current directory]$
>
> now it says:
>
> [I have no name! servername at current diretory]$
>
> Any ideas on how to get it back to the way it was.

If you do a long listing on your home directory,
do you see an integer rather than a name for the
file owner?  I reproduce this by changing the uid
field in /etc/passwd and logging in again.  You
can probably fix it by changing the uid field of
that user in /etc/passwd to the integer you see
as the owner of that user's home directory.

stephen