[ale] k7s5a motherboard

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Oct 21 12:10:04 EDT 2002

Dow Hurst wrote:
> You might want to put a Zalman Copper/Aluminum Heat Sink with the
> special large adjustable rate fan.  Zalman has a kit.  I put it in mine
> and it has kept the heat down.  Unfortunately, I don't have number for
> you but I do know that the guys at Ginstar who helped me install it were
> impressed with the performance and reduction in sound level.  You could
> just replace the thermal compound and retry.  Of course, if you don't
> have a good bond you would probably just melt the CPU.

I'll consider the new heat sink.  The shop I got the cpu from has
offered to replace it, they are surprised by the temperature.  I had
heard that the Athlon chips did run pretty hot though.

> Putting in lots of fans is okay but the path of the heat evacuation has
> to be thought thru.  You really need to not be recirculating hot air
> around the CPU.  I had some problems with this until I switched to a
> power supply that had a fan pulling in air from the CPU and another
> pushing that same air out of the case.  Too many fans can actually
> create whirpool eddies in the case that just recirc hot air.

Well, I figured with the one fan in the front pulling air in, and
another in the back pulling air out, along with the ps fan pulling air
out, I should have decent air flow, but it didn't seem to make much
difference in the temperature.

Right now, I've got one side off the case with a 2' fan blowing right on
it.  This has dropped the cpu temperature down to a 'within limits' 43C.

I'm sure I don't want to continue this approach as it sounds like theirs
a jet engine on the otherside of the wall.  Fortunately, there is a wall
between me and the box.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net