[ale] OT: Electronic Voting in GA

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Oct 18 23:57:35 EDT 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 16:23, Danny Cox wrote:
> Just to really make your weekend:  today, I received in the mail a
> pamphlet describing how the new electronic voting machines in GA will
> work!  They're secure!  They're accurate!  They're fast!  They're
> completely un-auditable!
>
> 	Sorry, is my cynicism showing?

Yes. Clearly.  ;-)
And its very justifiable:

The voting machines are touch screens, a technology that has proved
itself completely undesirable to the public and consistently unreliable
through a thousand attempts at kiosk and banking machine interfaces.

Not that the faulty touch screens will make much difference. To my
understanding the POS voting boxes run on wince, so their reliability is
already close to nil.

I know I'd feel a WHOLE lot better about the things if the completed
ballots were printed out in hard copy so that voters could actually
confirm and check the form for errors before dropping it in the ballot
box for counting (and physical auditing and recounting when necessary).

This discussion reminds me that the inventors of democracy, the ancient
Greeks, could call for a vote to banish (ostracize) incompetent or power
hungry leaders for a decade at a time.  The balloting was accomplished by
dropping marked pottery shards (ostrakon) in a barrel. I could consider
accepting the new voting machines if doing so brought a return of the
option to banish all the bad public officials by simply busting up a
little dinnerware!

peace
(after justice)
aaron