[ale] need your input on a project...

Arafat Mohamed amohamed at lallygag.net
Fri Oct 18 23:33:46 EDT 2002

I've never heard anyone say that Tomat isn't intended for production.
However, I have seen numerous situations where it has been used in
production with no complaints. The general setup is to use it with
apache so you're only serving servlets from tomcat and letting apache
handle static stuff (and any other cgi stuff you might have). If the
application is quite large and you think that you might go the J2EE
route (incl. EJBs), check out JBoss. Once again, JBoss plays really nice
with tomcat.

So, my suggestion is Apache as the web server. Tomcat as the servlet
container. JBoss as the EJB/J2EE app server. All open source, all free.

-- Arafat