[ale] musical hard drives/recovery from a fried MBR

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 18 15:41:34 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 15:19, Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> boot to linux
>
> copy the entire windows partition like so:
> # dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=/dev/hda2
> zero out the windows boot sector like so:
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda2 bs=512 count=1
>
> boot to windows and
> A:> sys a: c:
> to copy the windows system files to the boot sector of
> the Windows partition

I wonder. If you will be doing sys a: c:, wouldn't it be better to copy
the contents of the partition instead of dding it?

> Finally:  reinstall my favorite flavor of linux,
> putting /boot and lilo on hda1.

Also, I've never tried to put windows somewhere outside of hda1. I've
never tried many things with windows, though.

> Any suggestions, flaws?

Same thing I told you at the fest: Backup my friend, backup.

:)

 -- Jordi