[ale] need your input on a project...

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at cordata.net
Fri Oct 18 15:32:32 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 15:01, John Wells wrote:
> However, this is where I'm a bit indecisive.  I've used PHP quite a bit in
> the past, and while it's very nice for smaller projects, I think it tends
> to get messy as the project grows.  This particular app will have over 70
> screens and a lot of background processing, so I'm not convinced PHP is
> the way to go.  I also want to go OO, and although PHP has limited OO
> capabilities, it begins to feel a little Perl-y after a while
> (<flamebait>granted, PHP's OO syntax is much cleaner than
> Perl's</flamebait>).

Granted that a good syntax can certainly HELP, but don't let that be
your sole criteria. I have not done much OO in PHP, but I have done a
good bit of OO in Perl, and Perl is very capable of expressing objects
that are easy for others to read. Your design will really exist outside
of the confines of the language. So if you feel that you have the
ability to write clean Perl OO code then don't let the syntax bother
you. On the other hand if you don't know Perl's OO (or some other
language such as PHP), but you know how to express objects in Java
cleanly then feel free to go that direction.

I guess all I am saying is that large multi-tier OO projects can be
written in Perl (or PHP). The syntax will not stop that. Only your
comfort level in writing OO in Perl or PHP will determine if the project
will scale well to be maintainable.

--
Eric Anderson