[ale] PGP/GPG Session... RFC...

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Oct 15 15:51:55 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 11:29 am, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> All,
>
> 	At the last ALE meeting I was asked to do a session on PGP
> in December (moved up to December 5, IIRC)...
>
> 	I have a question (request) for the group.  I need feedback
> on what you would like.
>
> 	I can do ONE of the following...
>
> 	* A very general talk on Public Key Cryptography
>
> 	* A general talk on PGP / GnuPG (GPG)
>
> 	* A more in-depth talk on GnuPG including command line functions and
> 		key management of recent versions.
>
> 	* A PGP/GPG keysigning party.

Although what I personally would like is a key signing party, I don't
think it makes sense to have one without trying to educate the group,
first.  I don't think the very general talk is necessary, but some
amount of the general talk is needed to let folks know what we are
talking about.

What I would like to see is a talk introducing PGP with enough detail to
let interested beginners get started to the extent that they can
participate in a keysigning party a couple of months later, but it need
not cover every aspect of PGP.  I think this could be done in 45
minutes.

Unfortunately, you say you can only do one of those things and I've
asked for 2.5.  I expect that Mike is our resident expert in key
signing, is there someone else who could give an intro to PGP?  That
way we could get a PGP intro and a key signing.

Anyone...anyone..?

--Michael