[ale] email client

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Oct 14 09:41:46 EDT 2002

On Friday 11 October 2002 07:01 pm, Ryan Matteson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 10:40, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > On Friday 11 October 2002 12:33 am, Ryan Matteson wrote:
> > > I am typing this email with it now. I personally think it is
> > > a GREAT mail reader. Evolution has GPG integration, a good
> > > calendar, decent address book, nice composer and it's free. It
> > > also works perfectly with IMAP/POP3 hosts.
> >
> > I think it is an okay mail reader, but not my first choice.  My
> > impression is that it is a good emulation of outlook, so if you
> > already know all the outlook keystrokes, etc, it will feel similar.
> >  I kept finding that it annoyed me.
>
> Why did it annoy you?

Lots of little things that just didn't agree with the way I work.  For
instance, I tried grabbing one line from the list of messages and
dropping it in a folder and couldn't get it to work.  I finally figured
out that I was trying to dang-n-drop the little envelop icon--that
seems like a logical representative of the letter to me.  But no, you
have to drag-n-drop the text.  The icon only represents the state of
the message.  This is doubly annoying because it requires significanlty
more mouse movement.  KMail lets me pick up the message anywhere on the
line.

The default setup sorts on time that the mail is sent and it took me
quite a while to figure out how to sort on when the mail was received.

A third example is that all the hot keys are control keys and the
regular keys are unbound.  That seems wastful, but I can't find a way
to rebind the keys.  Kmail agrees more with what I expected, and let's
me rebind everything.

Like I said, it annoys me.  It does seem quite capable, though.

--Michael

--Michael