[ale] Laughing myself sick!

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sun Oct 13 18:44:51 EDT 2002

On Sunday 13 October 2002 02:20 pm, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Saturday 12 October 2002 04:18 pm, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> > Wouldn't they still have to have a search warrant issued by the US
> > Gov't in order to do an "audit"???
>
> NO!
> By "clicking through" the EULA you "agree" to the unwarranted,
> unannounced "audit."
>
> If they knock on your door, you can tell them to get lost, forcing
> them to initiate court action. If you're small enough, it isn't
> going to be worth the hassle and bad publicity.  I'm not sure
> where the probable break-even point is, but I would hazzard a guess
> that it is about 50 machines. At that point the odds are that someone
> has loaded unlicensed software on a client, if not on a network
> drive. Once the "agents" have found a single piece of software for
> which your company does _not_ have the appropriate license, you are
> responsible for the total cost of the search, and any fines. Ouch!

>From what little I know about the law, I suspect most judges would

want to see some kind of proof more substantial than "the BSA suspects
XYZ is running bootleg software". Whether the BSA's claiming to have
been tipped off by "an anonymous employee" would be adequate,
I don't know. I guess it boils down to what kind of favor$ the BSA is willing
to provide to the judge.

Say, just how much does the never-ending attempt to remain 'compliant'
add to the total cost of operating a Windows shop?

Regards,
Irv