[ale] fujitsu hd and bad sectors

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 12 20:53:20 EDT 2002

Hi,

I have a Fujitsu 20 Gig HD that FreeBSD's fsck couldn't fix
"clean", so I d/led the diagnostic utility from
fujitsu.com/support and did a "comprehensive test" from a DOS
boot disk.

The result was "The drive did not pass the comprehensive test.
An error was detected on the HDD, Error Code: B101G4.  Please
contact Fujitsu Customer Service for repair"

My question is, From your experience, what can/will Fujitsu or
(insert your favorite HD manufacturer) do?  Will they send you a
new drive?  Will they recover all your lost data?  Will they send
a really sincere letter that says, Shucks, we're sure sorry, but
better luck on your next purchase!  Is it even worth contacting
"Fujitsu Customer Service"?

TIA

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net