[ale] missed/bounced messages

Matt Smith msmith at risklabs.com
Wed Oct 9 11:30:12 EDT 2002

Apparently Earthlink had a glitch in their email processing to prevent
spam.. I had a got a similar bounce..  I sent an email to their support and
a couple days later got the following response:
================
During a brief time on the evening on September 25, the Earthlink mail
servers erroneously refused mail connections from many hosts across the
Internet.  This problem happened due to a glitch in the transmission of
server configuration data used to block spam between our various mail
servers.

The error message you received:

550 Dialups/open relays blocked. Contact <openrelay at abuse.earthlink.net>

... is normally intended for mail hosts that Earthlink has blocked in
order to protect our members from unwanted commercial email.  However on
the evening in question, this error was passed to many mail servers not
intentionally blocked by Earthlink.  If you received this error, during
this time frame, it's very likely that you are not being blocked, and
have been able to successfully route mail to the Earthlink network as of
the late evening hours of 9/25.  If you find yourself still running into
this error as of the time you receive this message, then your host has
been blocked and you should reply to this mail or contact
openrelay at abuse.earthlink.net for assitance in being unblocked.

I'm not sure if you're seeing logs from this timeframe and it's now fixed,
or if maybe they're having the same problem again.

--Matt