[ale] NTFS-based systems at the installfest

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Oct 8 17:57:38 EDT 2002

The ntfs module is not needed for dual boot support. It is only needed
for read access to an ntfs partition.

As ntfs write support is still VERY experimental, and will probably stay
that way for a long time, not having on the default setup is actually a
good thing. It keeps a CN (Clueless Newbie) from hosing their Win2K
partition while logged in as root and blaming it on RedHat or Linux in
general.

ntfs write support will probably always be a dangerous option as the
filesystem for M$ seems to be changed about every major service pack.