[ale] Multiple Environment Setups (was Re: [ale] Which Decent Redhat)

Ricardo Davis Ricardo.Davis at PowerSystems-IM.com
Tue Oct 8 11:52:25 EDT 2002

Chris' comments reminded me of questions I've been meaning to ask.

I've been contemplating my next hardware project, and I want to set
up multiple environments on the system (RH 6.2, 7.3, 8; OpenBSD; and
Win2K Server).  I was thinking of a having each environment on a
disk; a switch would allow me to pick which IDE disk I want to boot
with then I would power up the system.

Q1:  Anyone have leads on reliable switches for the IDE disks?
Q2:  Has anyone tried such a configuration and had problems?
Q3:  Anyone tried other options (SCSI, Firewire) for the array of boot disks?

-Ricardo

>This may sound crazy but my development environments are 7.2.  But I run
>the lates and greatest RH on all my workstations.  I have a /u01/RH7.2
>directory on each one with a simple RH 7.2. environment.  Whenever I
>code I just do chroot /u01/.RH7.2 bin/bash and I'm in that environment.
>
>The benefit is that I can have dirty and clean environments and do major
>testing.  Sure it adds a lot of space but what else am I going to do
>with 40GB's ?
>
>I have a CD wht a rh7.2 tree that is tarred and gziped.  If I ever want
>to add the enviro to a new machine I do this:
>
>mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
>cd /home/user
>mkdir devel
>cd devel
>tar -xzvfps /cdrom/rh7.2.tgz
>umount /cdrom
>chroot . bin/sh
>su - user
>
>Now I'm in the users home directory.  Sudo works great for this
>environment.  And make sure when you are in there you do a mount -t proc
>none /proc
>
>Chris
>
>On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 10:43, Stuffed Crust wrote:
>>  On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:29:40AM -0400, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
>>
>>  > I need to set up a development environment for web stuff.  I want to
>>  > use Red Hat (no flame wars).  Personally I have used Mandrake for the
>>  > last year or so.
>>
>>  What's the production environment going to be?
>>
>>  Because the development environment should be as close as possible.
>>
>>  Of course, if you're talking about straight HTML/graphics, then it
>>  doesn't really matter..
>>
>  >  - Pizza

Ricardo Davis
PowerSystems Information Management, Inc.

I can do your work
High quality, fast, or cheap
Choose two of the three.

      -- Kimber Smith