[ale] nfsdnfssvc: Function not implemented

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Mon Oct 7 16:14:18 EDT 2002

This does not seem to be on the web anywhere, so I'll squeeze a short
note out about it here.

On my debian 'potato' (2.2) distribution, I could not export a file
system via nfs. I got the error:

nfsdnfssvc: Function not implemented: mountd

I had a custom-compiled 2.2.x kernel, but exhaustive groveling through
the menuconfig options revealed no joy on being an nfs server, although
I clearly needed the "nfs" option turned on to be a client.

I finally found that the kernel-level nfs support on my release just did
not work. When I used dselect to install the userland nfs daemons (which
automagically uninstalled the kernel-level nfs support package), then I
was able to nfs mount my machine from another machine on my network.

-- CHS