[ale] line wrapping in terminal

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Oct 7 09:51:24 EDT 2002

Danny,

It seems you were on the right track.  While pdksh's behavior doesn't seem
to be affected by modifying inputrc, I was looking through the bash man
page and ran across the "set -o vi".  I had no idea you could change
bash's editing mode to vi!

So, I'm trying bash out...I like the whole readline concept.  However,
when playing around with inputrc to modify behavior, it doesn't seem to be
setting everything correctly.  To test horizontal-scroll-mode, I set it in
both /etc/inputrc and ~/.inputrc to on, but it still seems to be off.
I've exited from X and kill all shells and relogged in...still the same
behavior.

However, I can do:
echo "set horizontal-scroll-mode on" > /tmp/myinput.$$
bind -f /tmp/myinput.$$

and it works.  Am I missing something here?  Shouldn't readline behave
according to the settings in either /etc/inputrc or ~/.inputrc?

Thanks for all the help!

John