[ale] How to see and minipulate partition labels

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Fri Oct 4 19:58:39 EDT 2002

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> I've noticed that recent distributions (RH 7.3, for instance) don't
> mount partitions in /etc/fstab acconding to the device, but by label.
> So, for instance, I have a line like:
> LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults     1 2
> in my /etc/fstab.
>
> I can't figure out how to create labels, or even how to read them.  Is
> it a secret thing in fdisk or parted?  Which FM should I R?

ReiserFS also supports LABELS (and UUID) with their v3.6 disk format/toolset.

<-------------reiserfstune, 2002------------->
reiserfsprogs 3.6.3

reiserfstune: Usage: reiserfstune [options]  device [block-count]

   -j | --journal-device file
   --journal-new-device file
   -o | --journal-new-offset N
   -s | --journal-new-size N