[ale] [OT] Re: [ale] X frozen does abiword do timed backups?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Oct 3 22:43:34 EDT 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Geoffrey wrote:

> I tell my wife and daughter, save early, save often.  You never know
> what's going to happen power outage, whatever.  I've finally got my wife
> convinced to save every 1/2 a page in anything she's using on a
> Microsoft OS.  Linux, she saves every page.  She's still lost a bunch
> more stuff on Windows...

Which brings to mind a story about saving work/timed backups/etc. Ignore
me as it is appropos not much.

My younger brother got a PDP-11 based single user machine back in the
early 80's, and engaged in programming/learning programming/teaching
programming (being an academic). One afternoon he was deep in debug, about
6 hours in debug, and had yet to save a thing. He is rather intensely
single minded at times. His wife, knowing her husband was not in radio
contact with the world, wanted his presence at dinner with the rest of the
family. Rather than stand in the door and fruitlessly call, she marched up
to the desk, and pushed the big red switch "off"...

They learned a few things that day. They are still married today partly
because that debugger journaled _everything_ and included some default
timed backup facility. The concept of "save early, save often" took on
religious intensity also, for both of them. And my sister-in-law doesn't
go around turning off computers on her husband 8-).

We now return you to your regularly scheduled life...

> She used to have a bad habit of creating a document, sending it to the
> printer then exiting the program without saving it. After a couple of
> paper jams, she's be cured of that.
<<snip the original purpose of the thread...>>

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown