[ale] Max Descriptors?

attriel at d20boards.net attriel at d20boards.net
Thu Oct 3 17:59:14 EDT 2002

Hey folks,

Is there any way to figure out what the max # descriptors available are?
Where by descriptors I might accept openfiles?

My problem is I'm running a massive mailing list for hte office, and it's
qmail is currently set to a 120 concurrency, but that keeps choking (thus
the use of the word "massive" :)  ...

120 is the compiled-in default max, but I can easily recompile ... the
docs say that the concurrency should be less than half the max
descriptors-5 (from memory, so it may be -more ...) but I don't know what
that number is :/

I grep -ri through include and /usr/src/linux and all I can find is some
things stating that fd 3 is stderr or somesuch, which is singularly
unhelpful (well, right now anyway).  I swear I remember seeing this
information before, but I sure as heck can't find it now.  2.4.18 is the
kernel, glibc2.2.5 ...

Any thoughts on what this might be calling itself/where it might be set
that I'm not finding it?

Thanks!

--attriel