[ale] printer problems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 21:31:11 EDT 2002

Geoffrey,

Have you looked at the gimp-print stuff. It is a bunch of print drivers
that are highly optimized. Many perform better than their M$
counterparts. Epson printers are very well supported with it.

Also the linux printer site is a wealth of info.

http://www.linuxprinting.org

It sounds like you have a broken postscript out put, though. Try
printing to a file and view it with gv. If gv croaks, it won't print. It
will probably exhibit either a "hang" or pages of garbage.

But if you spring for a new printer, get a color laser printer with
duplex printing and native postscript level 3, 128MB RAM, a built in
network interface and supports 11x17. :)