[ale] Linux Raid

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Wed Oct 2 19:12:52 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, October 02, 2002 4:10 PM, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Perfect.
>
> I'm reading the Software-RAID HOWTO on linux.org and searched both the
> html and pdf versions for "min" and it's not referenced in there.  Any
> other suggestions other than reading kernel driver source?  :>

I suggest you read the kern...  Oops.  Sorry, you said you didn't want
that suggestion.

WARNING -- WARNING -- WARNING:  If you have a strong aversion for reading
the kernel source, then read no further.

OK.  You've been warned ...

>From linux/drivers/md/md.c:

   /*
    * Current RAID-1,4,5 parallel reconstruction 'guaranteed speed limit'
    * is 100 KB/sec, so the extra system load does not show up that much.
    * Increase it if you want to have more _guaranteed_ speed. Note that
    * the RAID driver will use the maximum available bandwith if the IO
    * subsystem is idle. There is also an 'absolute maximum' reconstruction
    * speed limit - in case reconstruction slows down your system despite
    * idle IO detection.
    *
    * you can change it via /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min and _max.
    */

   static int sysctl_speed_limit_min = 100;
   static int sysctl_speed_limit_max = 100000;

Now that wasn't so bad, was it?  :)

--Joe
(I know -- asking for "suggestions other than" does not really mean a
person has any aversion to reading kernel source)