[ale] Looking for video board

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 2 10:48:55 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 07:44, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Anyway, it didn't want to work so I took it to the shop I purchased the
> mb and cpu from and he said "your video card is too old".  Sheesh.  He
> stuck another card in and it came up.  I couldn't even get it to boot.
> It just sat there and beeped at me.  He configured the bios, plugged my
> card back in and it worked, however I guess it is time to upgrade.  I'm
> not very heavy into graphics and find this old S3 Virge 4mb does just
> fine, but it isn't very close to state of the art any longer.

While I'm all for upgrading equipment, I thin that the person you were
dealing with was pullling your leg. The virge video card that you have
is just fine for what you are doing. After all, if there were really
something wrong with it, he couldn't have gotten it working either.
there is a BIOS setting that says whether you should use AGP or PCi as
your main video card. Its possible that your bios got confused. Its much
more likely that the m'board bios is the problem rather than the video
card itself.

If you do just wnat a card that works, you can get an SIS based video
card for about $15 with 16 or 32MB of ram on it and it works just fine
under XFRee86.

   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
   Rules to live by: 1) Don't sweat the small stuff. 2) Its all small
stuff.