[ale] SMPEG question

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Fri Nov 29 19:01:13 EST 2002

Hello -

I wanted to view an MPEG clip on a RH-6.2-derived setup, so I found rpms
for SDL-1.2.5-1 and smpeg-0.4.4-1 and their associated '-devel' versions,
all of which installed without a whimper. I then unpacked the source for
enjoympeg-0.4.1 which similarly built and installed without complaint.

I was not so fortunate when I tried to run 'enjoympeg':
 1) the program whined that it couldn't find '/dev/dsp' -- not surprising,
    as my system is DSP-challenged, then
 2) it refused to open the target clip because it failed to identify the
    file as a suitable MPEG stream data, though 'file' identifies it
    correctly as that type.

At that point I downloaded 'mtvp' which played the clip just fine, thank
you.

Should I have some type of DSP hardware to play such a clip, or was that
message on account of my not having a sound card installed?

Any ideas what's missing here?

TIA
 - John Mills