[ale] Are this many errors normal? Mandrake 9.0

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 29 10:17:13 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:18:51PM -0500, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> I've decided that except for games I'm going to try and swap over to Linux.
> On installing it I tried everybuddy because I thought that would be a no
> brainer. I got a segmentation fault that a lot of users have said is cured

Give gaim a try.  It should come with your distribution, and it will
probably be easier to try it than to resolve all the dependancy problems
for everybuddy.

[...]
> the next thing I wanted to do was get familiar with my log files and using
> the log viewer that is included (logview) it crashes when trying to open
> security.log, user.log and others. A few it will open. These are all things

Are you running logview as root?  Most of the logs are only viewable by
root, and logview might not handle that gracefully if not run as root
(I'm just guessing here, as I've never used logview).

> that I'm sure that I can eventually fix but as to the original question is
> this normal? Am I going to have to make a project out of getting
> "everything" to work? This is ok as I like tweaking etc. but being Linux
> dumb it is a little frustrating. I'm assuming when I do get it all working
> that it will be more bullet proof than windows? I also have the misfortune
> of having a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card which I gather is a pain to
> get going. Anyhow, I'm excited about learning Linux, I've been using and
> supporting Windows since it came out and think I'm going to like Linux a lot
> better once I get acclimated. Thanks for your comments.

You probably will have to make a project out of getting *everything* to
work.  It's good that you like to tweak things; I've been using linux
for about 7 years now, and I still spend a lot of time tweaking my
systems.  It's fun!

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9