[ale] OT: computers & ubiquitous work

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Nov 27 12:34:53 EST 2002

  At my current company we get more out of normal hours pages but alot of
that is because of a move recently.  However they're bigger on the flex
hours, I come in early leave earlier, a coworder does the oposite and we
almost get shift style coverage without having to maintain multiple
shifts, etc.  We're both happier about it also.  He's single, likest to
stay out late and party, sleep in.  I like to go home and see my kids
for a few hours before they go to sleep.

  Previous company I'm expecting to be the victum of a hostile takeover
though did expect long hours just for job security and in the end on the
the managers and lowpaid people had any security.  On the other side a
friend back in CO was telling me the manager has been putting in some
very, very long days.  Guess he shouldn't have pushed himself as a
technical manager right before laying us off.

Thus spake Jim Philips (jcphil at mindspring.com):

> From: Jim Philips <jcphil at mindspring.com>
> To: ale at ale.org
> Subject: [ale] OT: computers & ubiquitous work
> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:21:05 -0500
>
> I just came across this editorial:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/11/25/021125opwireless.xml?s=rss&t=wireless&slot=6
>
> about the actual results of the automation and productivity revolution brought
> on by computers. It makes for some good reading. I can remember that at my
> last job, they tried to make the place a playground--a putting green, a pool
> table--in the hope that you would never go home. Now that they have about 40%
> fewer employees, they must be really pumping the productivity thing. Anyway,
> I wonder what you guys think: Has the revolution in computing and
> communications just led your bosses to expect longer hours from you? Was it
> really the goal of the computing revolution to turn us into 24 hour drones?

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI: