[ale] Are this many errors normal? Mandrake 9.0

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Nov 26 22:59:39 EST 2002

Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> I've decided that except for games I'm going to try and swap over to Linux.
> On installing it I tried everybuddy because I thought that would be a no
> brainer. I got a segmentation fault that a lot of users have said is cured
> by upgrading to the latest version. I did but during the upgrade it said
> that I needed libstdc++so4 (GLIBCPP_3.1) as it was dependant on this to run.
> I don't have that with my distro and haven't gone out to get it yet. Anyhow,
> the next thing I wanted to do was get familiar with my log files and using
> the log viewer that is included (logview) it crashes when trying to open
> security.log, user.log and others. A few it will open. These are all things
> that I'm sure that I can eventually fix but as to the original question is
> this normal?

I would say that is not normal.  I'm running Mandrake 9.0 on my primary
machine here and I find it to be rock solid (outside of the recent
processor upgrade), and the install was flawless.

On the other side of the coin, I've not used the programs you mention,
thus I can't say that that would not happen here.

> Am I going to have to make a project out of getting
> "everything" to work?

Again, I would say no.  If you've got a bunch of esoteric or really new
hardware, you will have to work harder to get working with Linux verses
windows.  But once it's working, it works.

> This is ok as I like tweaking etc. but being Linux
> dumb it is a little frustrating. I'm assuming when I do get it all working
> that it will be more bullet proof than windows? I also have the misfortune
> of having a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card which I gather is a pain to
> get going. Anyhow, I'm excited about learning Linux, I've been using and
> supporting Windows since it came out and think I'm going to like Linux a lot
> better once I get acclimated. Thanks for your comments.

Well, you've come to the right place.  Research issues you have, and
post questions to the list, you'll get help.

Welcome to the world of stable computing...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net