[ale] Help. Sudden disappearance of Logical drives in Ext. Partition.

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 26 16:45:48 EST 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 08:48 am, Joe Story wrote:
> Hey all.  Anyone know if there is a way to recover from this.  Any info
> greatly appreciated.  This machine dual boots Win98 and Slackware 8.  I was
> in windows and I noticed that my  D: drive (FAT32, Logical drive inside ext
> partition on IBM 75gig deskstar)  was showing jibberish ie, dfa___dfae!!
> (random chars.)  on the label and in the filenames.  Could not open any
> folders within that drive. The error message was something like "could not
> locate...."  Suddenly after that my machine locked up. Not surprising.
> After rebooting, the EXT. partition still existed but no drives inside that
> were there.  I also noticed that dos's fdisk was only showing that drive as
> 8gig.
>
> Can anyone tell me what might have happened or give me some possible ways
> to ?rebuild? the logical drive so that I can recover the data there.  I'm
> mostly curious as to what could have done this.  If I can't recover I will
> just have to start over on the 15+gigs of mp3's I had on that drive.

Sounds like a corrupted hard drive. Can you mount the partition where your
MP3's are located? If so, I would get them out of there as soon as possible.
See if IBM has a diagnostic program for this hard drive and scan it for
problems. I'm almost positiver they have something like this. They have one
for my IBM hard drive.