[ale] xargs

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 26 13:29:45 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:58:20AM -0500 Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu> wrote:
> sorry I can't help with BSD since I am not familiar.  My favorite Unix
> command is xargs since it is so handy.  Can you install the GNU commands
> onto BSD and scrap the BSD commands?
> Dow

That's a good question.  I haven't really dug into freebsd except
here and there.  Having looked over the source tree, I've seen a
lot of GNU stuff in there already.  I think there's actually a
decent amount of cross pollination between developers for *BSD
and GNU.  And after I went into /usr/src/src.bin/xargs and remade
and reinstalled xargs.c, all was well.  xargs is probably just
one of those utilities that took a while for the freebsd guys to
get around to updating from berkeley code maybe?  I suppose I
could search through the freebsd-hackers mailing list archives,
but I'm just more happy that the thing works now.  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net