[ale] mobile conectivity

Matt Smith msmith at risklabs.com
Tue Nov 26 10:52:28 EST 2002

I don't think the various types and qualities of speakers and microphones in
telephones (especially pay phones) are capable of passing the audio
bandwidth required for 56k.  Remember, 56k downloads are only possible
because of the direct digital connection that the ISP has at their end.
Reducing the connection at your end from direct copper to literally
over-the-air is putting a significant dent in the pipe.  In any case, you're
definitely going to be stuck back under Shannon's Limit of the theoretical
bandwidth of a voice channel.

Consider yourself lucky that an acoustic coupler can do better than 300
baud...

--Matt