[ale] X over ssh

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Nov 25 18:10:54 EST 2002

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:39:10AM -0500, David Corbin wrote:
> I'm trying to execute an X application on a remote server, that happens
> to be on the far side of a firewall.  I can ssh to the remote server
> without problem.  On the remote server, my sshd_config has
> "X11Forwarding yes".  When I do "ssh -X remote-server", my DISPLAY
> environment variable is not set.

> What am I missing?

Try

  echo $DISPLAY

if you see ":0.0" then try prepending your host name (as shown by the
hosts command, which also should be in your /etc/hosts file, and also
which a "ping" resolve the name to an IP).  For example,

tcsh:

  setenv DISPLAY yoursys.com:0.0

bash

  export DISPLAY=yoursys.com:0.0

Again, do

  echo $DISPLAY

You should see

  yoursys.com:0.0

Now, try your ssh again.  If it still is broken, turn on debugging and
look at /var/log/messages on the server and client, etc.

> David

Bob Toxen
transam at verysecurelinux.com            [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at verysecurelinux.com                [Please use for email to me]
http://www.verysecurelinux.com         [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]

My book:"Real World Linux Security, 2nd Ed.", published 10/24/2002
ISBN: 0130464562:

     http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/

Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"