[ale] X over ssh

Jerry Z. Yu z.yu at voicecom.com
Mon Nov 25 10:09:15 EST 2002

	another possiblity is that sshd server doesn't support X at all.
like some F-secure ssh*nox packages.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Jason Day wrote:

#On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:39:10AM -0500, David Corbin wrote:
#> I'm trying to execute an X application on a remote server, that happens
#> to be on the far side of a firewall.  I can ssh to the remote server
#> without problem.  On the remote server, my sshd_config has
#> "X11Forwarding yes".  When I do "ssh -X remote-server", my DISPLAY
#> environment variable is not set.
#
#The first thing that comes to mind is the server can't find the xauth
#executable.  Try "ssh -v -v -v -X remote-server".  That will print out
#lots of debugging information, but it might not tell you anything
#useful.
#
#If you can reach the ssh server on another port (or if you can stop and
#start the main ssh daemon) you can put the server in debug mode with
#"sshd -d -p <port>".  This will cause the daemon not to fork into the
#background, and print debigging information on the console.  That might
#give some clues what's going wrong.
#
#--
#Jason Day                                       jasonday at
#http://jasonday.home.att.net                    worldnet dot att dot net
#
#"Of course I'm paranoid, everyone is trying to kill me."
#    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9
#
#---
#This message has been sent through the ALE general discussion list.
#sent to listmaster at ale dot org.