[ale] Telephone Recording on Linux (Definitely ON topic)

Doug McNash dmcnash at smyrnacable.net
Thu Nov 14 17:01:11 EST 2002

>Good point, Irv.  However, a practical use of such
>recordings
>would be to *avoid* going to court.  If in a "discussion"
>I can state
>that IRS Agent XXX said "yyy" and told me to "zzz", and I
>have the
>transcript to back that claim, it would pretty much
>negate any
>he-said-she-said argument they might present.

Hi Chuck!

All well and good, but I believe that it is a matter of
settled case law that if an agent of the government tells
you that you can do "xxx", you do "xxx" and "xxx" is
unlawful then the fact that the agent said you could is
not a defense - i.e. you go to jail, you do not collect
$200.

I'll stop here before I start another political argument
;).
--
Doug McNash
dmcnash at smyrnacable.net