[ale] raid with linux

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Nov 13 17:00:07 EST 2002

File servers are among my favorite subjects!

I would say that the Promise RAID card confers no big advantage, if any,
over doing kernel RAID if for no other reason that, IIRC, the RAID
operations take place in the driver code.  It's the SCSI RAID cards that
actually are doing the parity, etc. work in hardware, and very quickly.
You will have to decide about the one vs. two drives per IDE bus.  It
will matter somewhat if you do a lot of pushing things around within the
file server, but it will matter *less* if you have a lot of RAM and tend
to hit the same files over and over again.

- Jeff