[ale] raid with linux

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Nov 13 16:33:47 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:13:43PM -0500, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> I need to setup a raid fileserver.  Here's what I'm wondering...  Should
> I get one of those Promise Raid controllers (IDE) or should I do the
> raid with linux?  The machine will run linux and samba.  I'd like to use
> the hardware solution, but I'm wondering if there are any caveats that I
> should know about.  Anyone have any suggestions or insights?

RAID0/1, or RAID5?

If it's the latter, be prepared to plunk down $250 and up for a good
controller; especially if you're going to be doing lots of I/O.

Otherwise, I'd just recommend you use the in-kernel RAID0/1 stuff; it's
very mature, and works with any hardware.  Given that most of those
so-called RAID cards just do the fancy stuff in their driver, you don't
loose anything except prhaps cross-OS compatibility.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent.                         ICQ #1318344

 PGP signature