[ale] Corporate taxes... (please, someone stop me.. I'vecreated a monster)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 13 15:27:05 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 14:37, Jeff Rose wrote:

> Actually I have gotten a job from a poor man, several actually.  You
> argued that it isn't the rich who provide most of the jobs but rather
> small businesses.  Then you imply that the only way to get a job is if a
> rich man is kind enough to give it to you.  I'm glad I scare you.  I am
> sick of the status quo.  In my opinion, right wing conservatives have
> been in control of this country for too long.  The middle class is
> disappearing.  The constitution is being subverted. Personal freedom is
> being taken away.  All in the name of big business.  Liberals have no
> say in this country and haven't for a long time.  Maybe if they did,
> individuals would still be more important than corporations.  It amazes
> me how conservatives arrogantly think of their businesses as being
> larger and more important than the workers who keep them functioning and
> the consumers who keep funding them.  Companies are a team effort.
> Everyone should share in the success of the company they work for.
> CEO's on average make somewhere in the neighbor hood of 300x the amount
> that an average worker for his/her company makes.  That to me is
> obscene.  Especially in companies where upper management comes and goes
> frequently.  People come in, make a mint and then retire.  Who cares
> about the success of the company.  As long as they get theirs.  I'm
> sorry but I refuse to worship at the altar of the rich.  I have no
> problem with people making money.  But that should give them no more
> power than the poorest American and relieve them of none of their
> responsibilities.

Somewhere along the way, it seems that the concepts of stewardship have
been lost. The top execs of corporations have a responsibility not just
to the stockholders, but to the people without whom they would have no
job. I would argue that their greatest responsibility is not to the
stockholders, but to the employees. I have always been troubled by "Org
Charts". They always seems to have been made upside down. The job of the
executives is to facilitate to operations of the employees, to act as
the foundation of the organization. Unfortunately, most, if not all,
have the Ivory Tower mentality that we in the Open Source software crowd
dislike about our software. Why should we tolerate it from our
management, our teachers or our political leaders?

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part