[ale] Bangalore Bill

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Nov 12 23:08:55 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 22:30, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> 	WARNING...  TOTALLY OFF TOPIC SEMI-HUMOROUS CONTENTS HERE IN...
>
> 	Let's see now...  Gunner...  Aim lllooowww...
>

> in our history who was never elected to the office (Ford).  Ford told
> Latin Americans that he was sorry he couldn't speak their language but
> he never studied Latin in school (I swear to God it's not a $#@%#@ joke,
> it was in the news when he did it).

I'm pretty sure it was not Ford who fumbled the "I can't speak Latin".
It was Dan Quayle returning from a trip he was sent on to get him out of
the white house for a few weeks.

Someone in protocols fumbled some info for Carter on a trip to South
America. That wound up with him munching a soft taco with the
traditional wrapper, a corn husk, still on. So on international TV,
Carter is having to smile and nod politely while chewing a mouth full of
string!  I don't know if this was before or after the rabbit that chased
him across a lake.

In all seriousness, I've had the fortune of meeting a few of the
national political players. Some have left me greatly impressed and some
have left me wanting to wash the hand that was shook.

Rosalyn Carter is a wonderful person. I'm glad that her husband was
finally recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize. Their work with Habitat
for Humanity is outstanding.

My wife and I met Al Gore just after his first run for the presidency.
As long as there are no cameras pointed at him, he is a very likable
fellow. When he was talking with us, he listens with an intensity I have
not seen on any other political critter. While the issue of the meeting
was out of his jurisdiction (state issue, not federal) he promised he
would get a list of contacts to help out at the state level. 3 days
later, a thick envelope arrived with names, offices and phone numbers of
state people who had jurisdiction and the know-how on the issue. There
was also a handwritten note for Al informing us that he had taken the
liberty to call the two people on the top of the list on our behalf as
they were the ones most likely to have the needed access to the process
we needed addressed. When we called later that day, they had spoken with
Senator Gore and were already putting things in motion to examine the
issue from the state perspective. End result: a landfill was not built
at the headwaters of a pristine creek that feeds a pristine river in
Tennessee.

I met the Larry McDonald just as he started his rise to power as a
congressman from Georgia. His speaking was full of all the current
political buzz words that could bring a crowd to a fever pitch of
euphoria. When I got to speak with him one-on-one, he wouldn't look me
in the eyes when he spoke. And he lied to me directly about a bill he
was not going to support (he later voted for it after a rousing speech
he gave that was credited with swaying the uncommitted to it's favor). I
washed my hands after I met him.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part