[ale] Bangalore Bill

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Tue Nov 12 19:55:45 EST 2002

I agree.. However, the US will not remain the largest market.  The EU,
China and India itself will all eventually eclipse the US in total
volume rather easily in the next 10 years. And, it's well known that
Bill Gate's mistake with the Chinese has not been forgotten.

(For those that are unaware of it, Gates in an interview back in the mid
90's publicly said that MS marketing strategy in southeast asia was to
allow piracy to continue to run rampant, forcing dependancy on MS
software.. at which point Bill and the License police would step into a
market they had already claimed.  The Chinese were none to happy with
this, having been the victim of the British Empire and opium. Another
case of being "hooked" and then being exploited. This coupled with
China's skeptisim of foreign control and "spyware" has caused China's
government to be rather more open minded about non-MS solutions.)

It is quite possible that a software market just as large as the US will
develop within India's own borders in the next decade. The US may very
well fall into a position of follower rather than leader within this
same time period.  This is only further exacerbated by draconian laws
like the DMCA, and previously our encryption export policy. (If you ask
me, <flame bait>the only good thing Clinton ever did in his miserable,
godforsaken life</flame bait> is sign the bill that made it legal for me
to get on a plane with a 128bit browser.)

Vikram: If I've overstepped by taking a private reply public, I
appologize. I thought this made an interesting point that was worth
sharing.