[ale] November ALE-NW topic

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Nov 12 14:56:57 EST 2002

Announcing the presentation for the ALE -NW November meeting.

Many thanks to Fulton for stepping up to this one.

Still looking for someone to do something at the December meeting.
(although I guess I should check to see if the school is open on Dec.
19.) Dow???

Topic: Website design with Linux:
              A case study

Speaker: Fulton Green

Presentation:

During the summer and early fall, our speaker was given the opportunity to
completely redesign the electronic marketing brochure (read: website) for a
local company. Mostly due to financial constraints, he set out to develop
the new website using a mix of open source tools. While there will be a
brief mention of browser issues and web language standards, the focus on
this presentation will be on how well (or how poorly) tools such as the
GIMP, GhostScript, AbiWord and OpenOffice performed. A demonstration of
various techniques for these tools will be included.

Bio:

Fulton Green is a decade-plus veteran of the software develpment wars,
having professionally programmed for various commercial and open-sourced
UNIX-like systems as well as for Java and (gasp!) Windows.  He first used
Linux in 1995, but didn't actually install it at home until 1998. :) Fulton
holds a bachelor's degree in computer (software) engineering from Auburn.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net