[ale] linux harddrive upgrade utility (similar to MaxBlast, etc)?

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Nov 12 06:06:13 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:14:40AM -0500, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> My question is this:  has anyone used this utility with a "linux" based
> drive before?  Is it reliable?  Can I use it on a totally separate cpu
> from the linux box itself (my linux box doesn't have a floppy drive).
> If not, is there a linux utility that I can use to dupe my HD onto the
> new one?  I've used partimage (quite a cool program I might add) and dd;
> but I'd like to know if I can use this utility for the sake of simplicity.

I don't see why not.  Usually those tools don't resize, just bulk copy
the sectors over.  So when you're done, you can use parted or something
like that to resize your ext2 partiton(s).

I uses a coimbination of Ghost and parted to replace my old 20G laptop
drive with a 40G drive, including a couple of ext3 partitions and a
fat32.   Ghost to image everything back and forth, and parted to resize
onec it was copied over.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent.                         ICQ #1318344

 PGP signature