[ale] [WAY OT] Ethics Question

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Nov 11 22:52:49 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 22:39, Adrin wrote:
> I seem to recall that this has come up under company emails. Remember the number of cases
> that where filed in the mid 90's.  And most of those where just of people passing jokes
> around.  If someone is doing some illegal on a system you admin, and you do nothing then
> you can be charged. It is amazing to me how some people think that internet traffic is
> private.  Which also brings back the days of when BBS where the thing, and how many of
> those got shutdown in raids.
>
> You know if he wanted to make the teacher sweat a little bit he could cut part of the
> email and let everyone know that this is not acceptable policy.

If what the e-mail indicates is happening is illegal or even clearly a
violation of policy (i.e., a firing offense), that kind of "playing
around" wouldn't represent a very clean nose.

It would put you, the admin, in a visibly Zeus-like position.  It might
feel good to wield that kind of career- and life-ruining power out where
everyone can see it, but I don't think it's a very good way to comport
yourself professionally.

- Jeff