[ale] Lindows experience

Christopher Ness mness215 at attbi.com
Mon Nov 11 21:47:27 EST 2002

My friend Allen bought an Evergreen Lindows box from Tiger Direct. So of
course, I become the infinite support for it.

So the first thing I look for are the standard things I  always use. Wrong.
The first thing I need is man. So...#man swapon...nothing...#man man...nothing
which man? no man found in PATH. locate man. All the man files except the
actual program! Including /usr/man/man1/man.1.gz. Today Allen called tech
support and asked about it. "We left man out to save space since these users
aren't technically oriented". But they included hundreds of the actual man
files!
So I emailed him man and nroff, groff, gttbl, grotti and all of libgpm. A few
permissions and it's back. I had to do the same thing with Midnite Commander.

The reason I was looking for man swapon in the first place? Netscape (ugh) was
crashing with out of memory errors. free showed no swap even though  the
rcfiles attempted to start it.  It wasn't in /etc/fstab, but fdisk showed the
swap partition existed.  They had never put it in fstab. Swapon was in one of
the rc files. So what was it? They had never run mkswap! I wonder how many of
their customers will ever know?

I think they need to do a little better if we are going to get the public to
understand Linux to be as easy as we all find it.