[ale] OT: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Nov 9 08:37:16 EST 2002

Larry Grenevitch wrote:

> Honestly, I think they (BellSouth) would be open to giving the Linux community the ability
> to post HOW-TOs for various Linux distributions to connect to their network.

Nope, tried that, multiple times.  I first discussed it with the sales
twit.  I then moved up the ladder, working my way to more technically
oriented folks.

BellSouth doesn't want people to use Linux on their network.  They are
afraid of you, for various reasons depending on who you talk to.  Some
of them assume Linux == cracker, others have more intelligent biases, in
that they don't want folks with your kind of knowledge on their network.
  Even others told me that they don't want to tell other folks that you
can have multiple computers connected to a BellSouth dsl line without
BellSouth knowing it.  After all, they want that extra $10 a month.

BellSouth just doesn't want you.  Go figure, they are the locally
monopoly in local phone service and dsl.  They drag their feet when
other providers try to hook you up to dsl.

When I was talking to them about getting static ip with dsl from them, I
noted that I worked for the networking research arm of AT&T labs.  The
guy immediately turned me over to a supervisor, who wanted to know all
kinds of things about what I would be using this connectivity for.
Suddenly I'm a criminal because (they think) I'm knowledgeable.

The thing that griped me the most though was that you can't get static
ip from them unless it's on a business line.  In my case, that meant
jacking up the cost of one of my phone lines and paying double the price
for dsl.  My usage of my phone line would not change in any way and I
would receive no more services then I currently was.  Now you tell me,
who else could get away with that kind of approach short of Microsoft?

dsl was going to me $140 a month.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net