[ale] OT: BellSouth FastAccess DSL

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Fri Nov 8 11:31:15 EST 2002

Figured it's been a few months since someone asked this, so here goes ...

I'm now thinking of getting BellSouth's FastAccess DSL service. Yes, I know
that there are Linux-friendlier DSL services out there, and yes, I know that
the soon-to-be-renamed AT&T Comcast serves up cable modem service in my
'hood.  I have my reasons for going w/BellSouth in this case. And it also
now appears that they are shipping Ethernet-connected modems by default, as
opposed to their earlier policy of shipping USB-connected modems, which was
my primary objection to BellSouth the last time I was in the market for
broadband 'net service.

So for those of you out there using BellSouth for DSL stuff:

- Will a Linksys cable/DSL router (recent security problems notwithstanding)
  or some other similar routing device be sufficient for my LAN, or will I
  really need to spend the extra $10/mo. (+ equipment) for the multiple
  computer service option that BellSouth offers?
- I know that more recent DSL routers include PPPoE support.
- Anything else I need to know?

Many TIA.