[ale] Accessing Server without Domain Name

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Thu Nov 7 23:33:39 EST 2002

Aaron said nothing about DHCP, nor did he say anything about IP address
assigning, or that the router was the machine assigning addresses. He
simply said that he wanted to test his internal website out on the
internet by typing its IP address.

As I said in my original reply (which is still correct) "The traffic from
the internet needs a way to get to the internal box. The Router/Firewall
doesn't automatically know what kind of servers are running behind it, so
you have to forward port 80 to the actual webserver using whatever
provisions are inside the Router/Firewall."

The statement "I _thought_ all I needed to do was to dial in the static IP
address in any web browser" is perfectly correct. Your assertation that
the "only IP address he mentioned is the static one" is true in a literal
sense, but he mentioned that he has a home network. Anyone with sense
would realize every device on his home network probably has an IP address.

> Someone made the comment that he could test it from his
> internal network, but he's already done that.

I wasn't aware the server was tested at all. He didn't seem to mention
that in his message. How did you find that out?

> The question was how does he get to a webserver that
> sits behind his router that has a static ip.

...which I fully answered in my original message.

> THE RECOOMENDATION WAS TO TYPE THE IP ADDRESS INTO
> THE BROWSER, making reference to the static ip.

Nonsense. I told him "Typing the IP address in a web browser should work
fine on the same network as the webserver, however." Note the words "same
network". We're talking about his home network here, thus, internal
address space. I could have worded it better.

> Yes, if he uses the internal ip he will get there

...which is what "Typing the IP address in a web browser should work fine"
originally meant.

> Wrong, because the bloody router is assigning the ip
> to the webserver, so it knows where to send the goods.

Again, you're making assumptions further than the information given. As an
aside, if a machine on the internal network is having its IP address
reassigned, (assume on every reboot), how would the router device know
which machine gets the port 80 redirect? I've never seen this done.

> Replace your linux box with my dual bastion/choke
> firewall configuration with three static ips, vpn
> router, dmz, web server and 9 computers on my
> private network, and you should realize that I DO
> KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT....

You know, you started off your message with "Chill and read the threads."
Judging by all the caps, I think you might be the one who needs a Coke and
a smile. Relax.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Thu, 07 Nov 2002 13:43:35 -0500