[ale] lm-sensors+modules-kernel?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Nov 7 10:52:17 EST 2002

I found the kernel source for the one these boxes are using (one of
about 230 on my kernel server...)

2.4.19-ac4.  If I compile i2c and all it's sub components in as modules
how set do you think I am or will I be going and getting the i2c source
and compiling this as well.

I'm trying to get this "down right" so I can document it and hand it off
to an SA to maintain once it's proven.  Once I've done it a few times
it'll make sense but I've never seen this before and the docs from the
lm-sensors guys is a bit erratic to read.

Thanks,
  Robert

Thus spake Steven A. DuChene (linux-clusters at mindspring.com):

> From: "Steven A. DuChene" <linux-clusters at mindspring.com>
> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:37:32 -0500
> To: "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net>,
>         Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] lm-sensors+modules-kernel?
>
> You need to use the most complete lm-sensors modules available.
> Often the system kernels I have seen from Mandrake are fairly
> complete in this regard. The standard kernels from kernel.org are
> NOT. The lm-sensors code updates do not seem to make it into
> the Linus's standard kernel.org stuff.
> If the kernel you have already pushed out there has some support
> for the i2c stuff then you should be able to push out just the
> additional i2c/smbus/chips modules as a seperate entity.
>
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:19:58AM -0500, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >   We want to test out lm-sensors as some servers our group is running
> > has monitorable chips.  Things are a bit more fun though.
> >
> >   None of the servers have /usr/src/linux or the kernel source on them.
> > All kernels are compiled on another machine all together and then the
> > kernel image and system map are rsync'd out to the servers.  No I can't
> > go into why, that's a very small part of a big picture that does make
> > sense.   I am though stuck dealing with this.
> >
> >   Reading the lm-sensors install guide the drivers, i2c package, etc have
> > to be installed as modules.  I'm currently mucking with kernel 2.4.18.
> > Is anyone using this kernel with sensors?  Do I have to download the
> > package or can I use the kernel i2c bits as is?  If I compile them into
> > the kernel and then install the lm-sensors package (heavily tweaked
> > debian install) should all run right?  Getting a kernel out there takes,
> > um, time...  Trying to save myself 2 weeks to find out it won't work on
> > this setup.
> >
> > Feel free to give me thoughts, opinions, examples, the riot act,
> > whatever.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> --
> Steven A. DuChene     linux-clusters at mindspring.com