[ale] lm-sensors+modules-kernel?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Nov 7 10:36:38 EST 2002

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Ok, got a fun one here :>
>
>   We want to test out lm-sensors as some servers our group is running
> has monitorable chips.  Things are a bit more fun though.
>
>   None of the servers have /usr/src/linux or the kernel source on them.
> All kernels are compiled on another machine all together and then the
> kernel image and system map are rsync'd out to the servers.  No I can't
> go into why, that's a very small part of a big picture that does make
> sense.   I am though stuck dealing with this.
>
>   Reading the lm-sensors install guide the drivers, i2c package, etc have
> to be installed as modules.  I'm currently mucking with kernel 2.4.18.
> Is anyone using this kernel with sensors?

I'm currently running 2.4.19, but I did install lm_sensors on my asus mb
with 2.4.18

Do I have to download the
> package or can I use the kernel i2c bits as is?

I just followed the instructions, so I don't know, I don't know that it
would hurt to try though.  (disclaimer:  not responsible for loss of
blue smoke)

If I compile them into
> the kernel and then install the lm-sensors package (heavily tweaked
> debian install) should all run right?

I would say yes, but I don't do Debian, and don't know what
ramifications 'heavily tweaked' might have.

Getting a kernel out there takes,

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net