[ale] Redhat patch and DMCA

msmith at mikeandmel.com msmith at mikeandmel.com
Wed Nov 6 14:20:27 EST 2002

I am thinking about emailing a friend in london to have
him read the notes and send them(encrypted of course)
back to me so I can avoid this mess. :)

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, John Wells wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> > Fight the power.  Read the notes.  If someone ever
> decided to bring
> > charges against a person for reading those Red Hat
> notes, it'd be the
> > biggest strike against the DMCA yet, and very
> convincing grounds for
> > challenging its foundations in a court of law.
Noone
> will pursue you,
> > because it would force them to acknowledge how
> silly/sad the DMCA is.  I
> > think this was exactly Red Hat's point.
>
> Ok. And how much could this wind up costing me??? I
> mean above and beyond
> the possiblility of jail time. The current DOJ seems
> quite willing to
> stomp hell all over the Constitution as I understand
> it, and I'm finding
> my funds just a little short to pay for lawyering.
>
> Yes, I'm sounding like a cheap, chicken-livered,
> yellow-belly coward.
> Partly because I am.
>
> OTOH, I rather wish it were otherwise - DMCA and other
> measures need to be
> thrown out.
>

> > <rage against the machine background music> F the
> Establishment </rage
> > against the machine background music> ;-p
> >
> > John
> >
> > > I was reading through a Infoworld article and they
> get
> > > into a kernel patch that redhat released for some
> > > security issue.....but you can't read the release
> notes
> > > because it may be a breach of the DMCA.  So what
> does
> > > one do?  Just patch w/o reading the notes?
Couldn't
> > > the descriptiveness of the notes be vague enough
> > > give those wanting to patch their kernels some
> > > information.  Here's the site I went to to see the
> > > notes but I decided I didn't want to go to jail
for

href="http://mail.mikeandmel.com/jump/http://www.thefreeworld.net/non-US">http://www.thefreeworld.net/non-US</a>/

href="http://mail.mikeandmel.com/jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml</a> for more

email: msmith at mikeandmel.com