[ale] Networking problem with 3 nics

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Wed Nov 6 11:11:35 EST 2002

A few questions:

1)  I presume you are running tcpdump from the box that is giving you
trouble -- correct?

2)  On the assumption that the answer to 1) is yes -- are the tcpdump
results the same if you use the '-p' option (i.e., without the
NIC in promiscuous mode)?

3)  Using tcpdump with the -e option, does the destination MAC
address match the NIC's MAC address? (otherwise the packet will be
dropped, except when the NIC is in promiscuous mode)

4)  And for the really obvious, does tcpdump (using the -n option)
show a destination IP address that matches the NIC's IP address?
(obviously, if this doesn't match, the packet will be dropped)

Your answers will probably, be 'yes', but it will at least eliminate
a couple of (far-fetched) reasons for dropping packets.

--Joe