[ale] smart media card problem RESOLVED

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Nov 6 10:57:20 EST 2002

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 12:41 am, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> ALE, 11-05-02 2318
> Remember the deal with the Smartmedia Card getting read on Linux?
> Well, thanks to Calvin H. the problem has been resolved. After
> running a series of tests, he found that the only problem that I was
> having was the one I forgot to mention: Specifying the filesystem
> type as "msdos" when mounting. It seems as though I really "lack"
> when it comes to Linux. Can anyone recommend a book that would gets
> into the more esoteric details of Linux.

The best stuff is probably on your hard drive.  Check out the
HOWTOs--they are chock full of great information.  If you didn't
install them, you can get them at tlpd.org (The Linux Documentation
Project).

Also, read every FAQ you can find.  I don't know if they are still
there, but there used to be a lot at rtfm.mit.edu.  I'm sure that good
can find FAQ repositories.

Another thing I recommend is the browse the manual.  Now it used to be
that in every computer lab there was a 4 foot long manual on a table in
the corner with printouts of all the man pages.  (Can is still be
called a manual when you can't hold it in yours hands?)  The great
think was that you could idle browse the manual while waiting for your
compile to finish.  Nowadays you can't do that because compiles don't
take so long, usually.  You actually have to set aside time to browse,
but it is  great thing to do.

I only know of one decent manual page browser: xman.  It can brig up a
list of all user commands.  See one that looks interesting and click
it.  Read it and go back to the list.  Do this for 15 minutes every
day.

Does anyone else know a a good man page browser?  Xman works, but it is
very old fashioned.  I think it is Athena widgets, which are nearly
obsolete.  Konqueror can do it but is lists the commands in a single
column rather than multi-column.  Any others?  Does tkman still exist?

--Michael