[ale] Re: Vote Today - Message from Marie

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Nov 5 22:04:37 EST 2002

> > Hopefully they were not the little
> > CMOS batteries, though I have replaced only one of this type in my entire
> > life.  2) the vote is recorded in three places, one including flash memory.
> > OK, so any mistake is now multiplied times 3.  I get it.  Redundancy = =
> > accuracy  3) In reply to my asking if I could see the code, I was told that
> > the code was audited by Kennesaw State University to comply with Federal and
> > State specs.
>
> I am singularly unimpressed by such a statement.  I'd buy a peer review
> with published names and qualifications.

On second thought, maybe I wouldn't.  Without any assurance that the
reviewed code is the running code, what good is this knowledge?

I'm reminded of the notion presented in the film "MINORITY REPORT" in
which the names of murderers and their victims as determined by the
three "pre-cogs" are engraved into wooden balls that are laser-machined
on the spot; the proposed notion was that each wooden ball would be
necessarily unique, although how that property was utilized to prevent
corruption of the system wasn't explained or examined.

- Jeff